Are you following a paleo diet to lose weight? Take it from us, and learn from the pros While we love the simplicity of what the paleo diet can do for weight loss, there are a few tips we have for you to be sure you become a success story!
1) Not eating enough throughout the day. We've been taught (or perhaps brainwashed) that we need to restrict our caloric intake in order to lose fat. If you don't feed your body with enough nutrients, you could actually do yourself more harm than good. Decreasing your caloric intake to much can actual have the opposite effect you were looking for. It can cause a slow in your resting metabolic rate and can stall or slowdown your fat loss. You do not have to count calories on the paleo diet, so if it's paleo, and you are hungry, you should eat!
2) KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. If you are attempting paleo for the first time, there is going to be a lot of new changes for you. The last thing you need to be doing is cooking and creating complicated recipes from a blog your friend told you about. Stock your pantry with the essentials like coconut oil, some fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Stick to the basics, on your plate should be a protein (meat or seafood), lots of non starchy vegetables, fats and some carbohydrates like starchy vegetables or fruits. Grilling some meat, roast some veggies and season. Keep it simple!
3) Eating enough starchy tubers to support activity level. The number one complaint we here from those just venturing out in the paleo world is feeling depleted of energy. If you are doing high intensity workouts, you are certainly going to need up your intake of carbohydrates. We're not talking about the old S.A.D. (standard American diet) method of eating bread and pasta, we mean starchy tubers. Think yams, squashes, pumpkins and carrots. If you are living more of a sedentary lifestyle (due to an injury or sickness), we recommend keeping your carbohydrate to less than 15% of your daily caloric intake.
4) Get in a group, grab a friend and become accountable! Sure, it sounds "wishy-washy" and silly to have to seek out help, but it works! There a lot of Facebook groups out there who are passionate about the paleo diet. Some are even geographically dedicated (for example, Paleo Vancouver). Get a friend to do a 30-day challenge with you. Tell your friends and family about what you are doing. Those who want to see you succeed will be sure to encourage you along your journey. Being accountable will keep you in line with why you chose to do this in the first place.
5) Don't skip on your sleep! Today's society praises those who grind, hustle, work 18 hour days and get little sleep. We can tell you these people wont last! Getting 8 hours of sleep is crucial not only for weight loss but for your overall health! Stop taking your smart phone to bed, turn the TV off two hours before bed and be sure that no lights are shining through your bedroom. Think of your bedroom as a sleep sanctuary that is not to be tampered with!
6) Prep all of your food. We mean all of it! The easiest way to stay on track is to have meals ready to go in your fridge, at your disposal! So whether this means you spend Sunday's doing meal prep, or using a service like ours to prepare your food, it is a must! We make the worst choices when left to hungry, busy or tired. If we fail to plan, then we plan to fail. If you want to learn more about how we can help you reach your goals, follow the link below.
Comments will be approved before showing up.